How to Create a Sponsored Message
We've probably all seen messages from businesses in our Messenger inbox, and since you clicked on this post, you are probably curious how they do it. So let me give you a quick step-by-step guide in how to do so.
First of all you need to have a certain amount of existing conversions to be able to set up a sponsored message.
To create a Sponsored Message you simply follow these steps:
- Go to your Ads Manager and click the green Create button.
- Select the Messenger Objective in the Consideration column.
- Name your Campaign. If you are using Facebooks CBO you enter your budget in this step – otherwise click next.
- To name your Ad Set after your audience is a good guideline.
- Select your Message Destination in the drop down menu. You can choose from Click from Messenger or Sponsored Message. Select Sponsored Message.
6. Under Audience you can choose to Use an Existing Audience or create a New Audience. Choose the one that suits you best.
7. Under Placements Messenger will be pre-selected.
8. Type in your budget.
9. When you have finished the Ad Set set-up click continue.
10. Now we're in the Ad set-up. Under Message Setup, select how you want your Message to look like: Text Only or Text & Image.
11. Simply type your message and add your image (if you'd selected Text & Image).
12. Under Customer Actions you can add quick replies or buttons to your message. Quick Replies are pre-set bubbles that will help start and guide the conversation.
13. Finish your Ad and and click Confirm.
14. Click Place Order to start tracking your Campaign.
A few things to keep in mind:
- Sponsored messages are billed on an impression basis. So this means that your Ad Account will be charged when someone sees the message in their Messenger Inbox from your business. Sponsored messages are on an auction-based bid. Read more about ad auctions here.
- Note that, if a conversation has been inactive for over 6 months or active in the last 24 hours a Sponsored Message will not be sent.
- The recommendation is to run your Sponsored Message Campaign for at least 5 days to maximize delivery. Most commonly Sponsored Messages are sent within the first 24 hours from the Campaign start, will will of course vary.
- Last but not least important, one sponsored message will be delivered per person, per ad set. So keep that in mind when creating your audience.